Bonfires. Gourds. Sweaters and seasonal socks and candles. It’s time again for the Readers Imbibing Peril (RIP) challenge.
The purpose of the R.I.P. Challenge is to enjoy books that could be classified as:
- Dark Fantasy
The emphasis is never on the word challenge, instead, it is about coming together as a community and embracing the autumnal mood, whether the weather is cooperative where you live or not.
The goals are simple.
- Have fun reading.
- Share that fun with others.
This year the hashtag is #ripxvii.
Multiple perils await. I’m not sure yet which one(s) I’ll be participating in – definitely the Fiction Read and the Peril of the Listen, but we’ll see if I add the others too. I will try to list my reads on this page throughout the two months.
Peril of the Fiction Read!
Read one (or more!) fiction books that you feel fit (our very broad definitions) of R.I.P. literature. It could be Stephen King or Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Shirley Jackson or Tananarive Due…or anyone in between.
- The Christmas Murder Game by Alexandra Benedict
- The Raven Thief by Gigi Pandian
- The Snowman Killer by Wendy Meadows
- Halloween Party Murder by Leighann Dobbs
Peril of the Short Story!
Read a short story (or many short stories) that you consider RIP-worthy!
Peril of the Screen!
Watch something RIP’y!
Peril of the Listen!
A fan of audiobooks? Addicted to podcasts? Listen to something that reminds you of RIP.
- Babel by R.F. Kuang
- The Big Lie by John Mankiewicz
- In the Shadow of Lightning by Brian McClellan
- Santa’s Little Yelpers by David Rosenfelt
- The Mystery of Montague Morgan by Karen Baugh Menuhin
- A Most Efficient Murder by Anthony Slayton
- Daisy Darker by Alice Feeney
Peril of the Real!
Interested in true crime? Shocking stories of real apparitions? As always, pick your RIP poison.
Extra – Peril of the Live!
- This one isn’t official, but we went to an Ohio Valley Cloak and Dagger production of two Holmes short stories, which totally fits the RIP theme. You can watch it on their Facebook page if you’re interested: https://www.facebook.com/ovcloakanddaggerco